Day 1: 20 April 2010, Tuesday
0815 – 0845
Registration & coffee
0845 – 0900
PEI welcome & chairman's opening remarks
0900 - 0945
Opening panel: Asian private equity going forward
- Where is Asia in its recovery compared to Europe and the US?
- More than maths: Buyout strategies move beyond number-crunching
- The value-add: The operational skills and experience GPs need to bring to the table
- Realistic return expectations from Asian investments
Moderator: David Pierce, Chief Executive Officer, Squadron Capital
Renuka Ramnath, Founder, Managing Director & CEO, Multiples Alternate Asset Management
Jean Eric Salata, Founder & CEO, Baring Private Equity Asia
Frank Tang, CEO & Managing Partner, FountainVest Partners (Asia)
KY Tang, Chairman & Managing Partner, Affinity Equity Partners
0945 - 1030
Deal Panel: Financing matters
- Banks: Who is lending – local versus international investment banks?
- Debt –to-equity ratios: have they changed? Local or international lenders?
- Role of mezzanine financing
- 100 percent equity-backed buyouts: set to take off?
Moderator: Eric R Mason, Senior Vice President, The Church Pension Fund
Aaron Chow, Head of Event Driven Syndicate - Asia Pacific & Managing Director, Leveraged and Acquisition Finance, HSBC
Chris Heine, Managing Director, Intermediate Capital Asia Pacific
Lyndon Hsu, Managing Director, Credit Suisse
Jonathan Zhu, Managing Director, Bain Capital Asia
1030 - 1100
||1100 - 1130|
Keynote Presentation: Jing Ulrich, J.P. Morgan's Chairman of China Equities and Commodities, will share her latest insights on China's economy, addressing concerns about policy adjustments and the side-effects of last year’s remarkable credit growth. Jing will discuss how investors should position themselves as the government moves to manage liquidity, while at the same time seeks to promote private consumption.
||1130 – 1215 |
The Big Debate: This House believes that China and India are all that matters in Asian Private Equity
Chairperson: Jenny Blinch, Editor - PEI Asia
For the motion:
Anil Ahuja, Head of Asia, 3i Asia
Andrew Y. Yan, Managing Partner, SAIF Partners
Against the motion:
Mark Chiba, Group Chairman and Partner, The Longreach Group
Maarten Ruijs, Managing Partner & Chief Investment Officer, CVC Asia Pacific
1215 – 1400
1400 - 1500: WORKSHOPS I
|Workshop A: Building the right team
||Workshop B: Capital Raising – First time funds versus |
follow on funds
|- Finding the right mix of complementary skills in a team
- Beyond carried interest: how to keep younger mobile
investment professionals motivated?
- Should sponsored funds review their reward systems?
Moderator: Mark Fogle, Independent
Anthea Au-Yeung, Co-Head & Principal, The Sumitomo Trust Finance (HK)
Peter Pil Jae Ko, Senior Managing Director, H&Q Asia Pacific
Vincent Ng, Partner, Atlantic-Pacific Capital
Jason Sambanju, Director, Paul Capital Advisors Hong Kong
|- Do the traditional US and European Limited Partnerships work for Asia? |
- Getting it right for your fund type
- Fees & Carry: Is there a magic number?
Moderator: Evan Gallagher, Managing Director - Investor Relations, IDFC
Kazushige Kobayashi, President & CEO, Alternative Investment Capital
Hemal Mirani, Managing Director - Investor Relations, CVC Asia Pacific
Stuart Schonberger, Managing Director, CDH Investments
1500 – 1530
1530 - 1630 WORKSHOPS II
|Workshop C: Investing in Financial Services
||Workshop D: Returning to the sweet spot in Asia|
- Asian financial institutions have held up better than international investment banks in the aftermath of Lehman Brothers’ collapse: are they ripe for the picking?
- Are some fund managers better qualified than others
to invest in financial services?
- Besides local lenders, what can private equity investors
target in this sector, and which markets?
Moderator: Jenny Blinch, Editor - PEI Asia
Mark Chiba, Group Chairman and Partner, The Longreach Group
Jason Shin, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Vogo Fund
Emmett Thomas, Partner & Head of Asia, Advantage Partners
- The Asian mid-market segment has in recent years been eclipsed by the arrival of global buyout funds: have local enterprises valued below $500 million been neglected?
- How hands-on does a GP need to be after investing in the mid-market segment?
- Building world-class businesses in Asia by picking winning sectors: what are they?
- Accessing later-stage businesses that want and need capital injection by private equity funds
Moderator: Charles Huh, Managing Director, Standard Chartered Private Equity
Peter Amour, Chief Executive Officer, AIF Capital
Mark Chen, Senior Managing Director, GE Equity
Josephine Price, Managing Director & Chief Investment Advisor, Chepstow Capital Advisors
1630 - 1715
Panel: Timing Exits
- The IPO window reopens
- Trade buyers on the rise?
- Direct secondary sales: more to come?
Moderator: Adam Bornstein, SVP, CDIB Capital International Corporation
Fredrik Åtting, Senior Partner, EQT Partners Asia
N. Nick Kondo, Esq., Partner, Ant Capital Partners
Sudheer Kuppam, Managing Director, Intel Capital
Christopher Seaver, Chief Executive Officer, CLSA Capital Partners
1715 - 1930
Day 2: 21 April 2010, Wednesday
08:00 – 08:45
LP breakfast (by invitation only)
Breakfast host: Wen Tan, Managing Director, Squadron Capital
0850 - 0900
0900 - 0930
Data Points: Asian Private Equity -Trend & Outlook
• Review of 2009 Asia PE activity - how bad was it?
• Market outlook for 2010 and beyond
• Implications for GP's and LP's
By Weiwen Han, Partner, Bain & Company
0930 - 1015
Country-focused versus pan-regional funds: the debate rages on
- Deal sourcing and due diligence: are local funds better placed compared to regional funds?
- Bigger picture: aside from risk diversification for LPs, how are regional funds better placed than locals to help local businesses grow?
- Parallel local currency funds: what do international LPs think?
- Are some industries more suited for local funds while others are more suited for regional funds?
Moderator: Sameer Sain, Managing Partner, Everstone Capital
Anthony Kerwick, Managing Director, Pacific Equity Partners
Eric R Mason, Senior Vice President, The Church Pension Fund
Rodney C. Muse, Managing Partner, Navis Capital Partners
Laure Wang, Co-founder & Managing Director, Asia Alternatives
1015 - 1045
1045 - 1130
Fund-sizing panel: Getting it right
- Determining the optimal fund size for your firm
- How big is enough? Asia’s capacity for buyout/growth funds
- How much should a first-time fund versus funds II and III be targeting?
Moderator: Hugh Dyus, Head of Asian Private Equity, Macquarie Funds Group
Andrew Gray, Partner, Archer Capital
Luis Miranda, President & CEO, IDFC Private Equity
Lionel de Saint-Exupery, President and Co-founder, CDIB Capital International Corporation
Jason Zhang, Managing Director, Morgan Creek Capital Management Asia
||1130 - 1200|
PEI Asia’s editor Jenny Blinch will quiz Wu Yibing, president of CITIC Private Equity Funds Management, on the success of the firm’s record-breaking maiden fund raise, and find out how the firm intends to put the RMB 9 billion fund to work. Wu will share his views on China’s fast-growing private equity industry which he believes still has a long way to prove itself to domestic LPs.
1200 - 1300
The LP Panel
- The pendulum swing: aligning GP and LP interests
- What will persuade an LP to return to your next fund?
- Servicing a foreign LP versus a local LP
Moderator: Alice Chow, Managing Director, Squadron Capital
Eric Chan, Managing Director, J.P.Morgan Asset Management, Private Equity Group
Suyi Kim, Senior Principal, Private Investments, CPP Investment Board
Alison Nankivell, Senior Portfolio Manager, Asia, Export Development Canada
Sander van Maanen, Partner, AlpInvest Partners
1300 - 1430
Networking Lunch and close of conference
This is a provisional agenda and remains subject to change at the discretion of the organisers